Enter a name for the contact:
- The name must be unique so your reports, invoices, bills, and other items are correct.
- Changing a contact name doesn't affect bills, invoices, and transactions that use the previous name.
- Changing a contact name will not automatically update a repeating template. Once the changes have been saved, the repeating template will need to be edited to update the contact name.
Add account number
You can add a unique account number (for example, a registration, membership or identification reference) to help you identify, reference and search for the contact.
You can use a combination of letters and numbers.
You can add a primary person as the main contact reference.
If you don't add a primary person, you can use the Attention field in the contact’s postal address to direct invoices and statements to someone else.
You can add an email address to show on the contact’s invoices, credit notes, statements, remittance advices, receipts, quotes, and purchase orders:
- If you add, edit or delete an email address that's used on a repeating invoice set to Approve for Sending, you're prompted to update the invoice template.
- You're not prompted to update the invoice template when importing contacts.
Add another person
You can add up to five people to each contact (additional to the primary contact).
You must enter an email address for the primary person before you can add another person.
Phone, fax, mobile, direct dial
If you enter contact phone numbers, you can customise the DOCX template to show the numbers on your invoices, credit notes, statements, quotes and purchase orders.
If you use Skype, you can add your contact's Skype user name or phone number. Then you use the Skype icon to call them straight from Xero.
You can add a website address for your reference.
Website addresses must begin with http://. For example, http://www.xero.com.
Use the top field (Find address) to run a search for the address as you type. Select a match and the rest will be filled in for you.
If you want to enter the address manually, enter the details in the blank field.
The contact's postal address shows on all transactions including paid items (invoices, credit notes, statements, quotes and purchase orders).
If you add or update an address from an invoice or transaction, the contact's postal address is automatically updated.
Click Same as postal address to copy the postal address, or use the top field (Find address) to run a search for the address as you type. Select a match and the rest will be filled in for you.
You can create a customised DOCX template to include the contact's physical (street) address on invoices or other documents.
Sales / Purchase Settings
You can add default accounts for sales (invoices, credit notes, quotes, receive money) and purchases (purchase orders, bills, credit notes, spend money):
- You can override the default values when you create individual transactions.
- Xero doesn’t enter the default account for you, if you use the Create tab to create a spend or receive money transaction when reconciling a statement line. You'll need to click Add details to complete this information.
- If you've set up tracking categories, you can assign a category to use for the contact's transactions (including overpayments). When you create a new transaction, just click in the tracking field and the assigned category will appear (you won't need to select it from the list).
Enter the contact's ABN so it shows on the PDF version of invoices, credit notes and statements you send them.
Add tax rates for the contact, to apply instead of the sales or purchase tax rates from your chart of accounts.
- For inventory items in quotes or purchase orders, the default tax rate will only apply if the inventory item doesn't have a tax rate set.
- You can select other tax rates when creating transactions.
Enter the contact's Australian Company Number.
You can add a discount for sales to the contact. Xero applies the discount when you:
- Add a line item in an invoice.
- Add a line item in a quote, and place your cursor in the Disc % column.
You can override the discount when creating transactions.
If your pricing plan includes multicurrency, you can select a default currency for your transactions with this contact.
You can override the currency when creating transactions.
If you make batch payments to a supplier, you can add their bank account details. The details then show on the bills to pay when creating batches.
The Bank Account Number field should have the BSB number first then the account number.
Only users with the bank account admin permission can view and update contacts bank account details.
If you've set up more than one branding theme, you can select a default theme for the contact. You can override the theme when creating new transactions (invoices, credit notes, quotes, statements, and purchase orders.
You can also set default due dates for bills and invoices. You can override the default due date when you create a bill or an invoice.
Xero network key
If you enter a Xero network key for the contact, you can choose to send invoices and bills from your Xero organisation to theirs.